I have something of a bad history of Halloween accidents. I have had more than one ER visit from cutting myself while making jack-o-lanterns. (Not recently, thank God.) Just this evening, I sliced my finger with one of those kid-safe pumpkin saws. (It was only a small cut, which is why I use the kid-safe pumpkin saws.)
When it came to placing the jack-o-lanterns on top of the newly laid down bark mulch, I was worried. There are a few words for that mulch, such as “tinder” and “fire hazard.” No way was I placing lit candles anywhere near it.
I found the solution at Walgreen’s: two multi-colored rotating disco balls. Now, when (not if) the pumpkins get knocked over and smashed by obnoxious teenagers, I’ll simply be out ten dollars in really cheap lighting, instead of a house.
Our pumpkins rock.